Friday 26 March 2010

Tree Man Claims He Was Struck by Lightning

as posted here

A Western Australian man who spent the last 105 days perched in a Eucalyptus tree, claims he was struck by lightning during Perth's violent storm Monday - but even that was not enough to bring him down from the tree he was trying to save.

Tree man Richard Pennicuik, 57, told PerthNow his metal harness was hit by lightning, "which sent bolts through me.

"My mate was in the backyard and he saw the lightning hit the tree and spread out like a fire cracker,'

"The lightning came down my cable, into my neck, down my right arm and out my leg.

"It came out of nowhere and it was frightening. But I'm alright", he said.

Pennicuik said that the fact that the storm caused no damage to the tree shows that local government is wrong to claim the tree is a hazard to property and the public.

Three supporters gave Pennicuik a large piece of plywood to shelter him from hail, wind and rain.

"It crossed my mind to come down when I looked down and saw the three of them. I felt like I should come down but I'm glad I didn't.

"If the storm can't bring me down, nothing will bring me down," he added

The local government intended to chop down the tree in front of Pennicuik's home in Thornlie, near Perth, deeming it a danger to property and the public.

Pennicuik recently rejected advice from his lawyer to end his protest.

He could face a fine of AU$5,000 Australian dollars (US$4,600) and penalties of up to $500 a day if he refused.


as posted here

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments will be moderated before posting, allow some time before they appear if they are accepted ...

Day one ..

the following reply was given ...

Thankyou for your enquiry. Council meetings are conducted under the provisions of the City of Gosnells Standing Orders Local Law 2003, a co...